[ironic] Ansible deploy_interface error output

Ivan Iotchenko iotchenko.i at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 22:47:53 UTC 2021

Hello

We are using Ironic (Train) and Ansible deploy interface. Everything works just awesome and we were able to include all the things we need into deployment/undeployment process (with respect to flexibility provided by Ansible). However, there is an issue. If you have failures during the process - you will be presented with full Ansible output which can be large enough (and thus cut). Almost every failure requires you to review log files (Ironic/Ansible). This is fine if deployment is being done by Ironic admin or person who have required experience. For other users it can be a blocker. Usually you just cannot determine root cause from the error message in last_failure field, which you can get both from console or UI.

Error output was pretty straightforward with direct deploy interface. Is there a way to made Ansible error output better? E.g. to make it short and descriptive (“DNS registration failed bla-bla-bla”)

Thanks, Ivan