Nova shows incorrect VM status when compute is down.

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:11:53 UTC 2021

On 6/17/21 07:24, Ramesh Ramanathan B wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> One observation we have while using Open Stack Rocky is, when a compute
> node goes down, the VM status still shows active (the servers running in
> the compute node that went down). Is this the expected behavior? Any
> configurations required to get the right status.
>
> In the attached image the compute is down, but the VM status still shows
> active. We are running a data center so it is not practical to run nova
> reset-state for all the servers. Is there an API to force update Nova to
> show the correct status? Or any configurations missing that is causing this?

This is expected behavior. The way we expose this condition is via the
host_status field on the VM. By default, this is exposed only via the
admin API but can be changed as desired via policy [1][2].

For example (this is admin):

> $ nova list --fields id,name,status,task_state,power_state,host_status,networks
> +--------------------------------------+-------+---------+------------+-------------+-------------+--------------------------------------+
> | ID                                   | Name  | Status  | Task State | Power State | Host Status | Networks                             |
> +--------------------------------------+-------+---------+------------+-------------+-------------+--------------------------------------+
> | f1aece4e-e7f7-436b-9faf-799129503dcc | eight | SHUTOFF | None       | Shutdown    | UP          | public=2001:db8::3aa, 192.168.33.189 |
> +--------------------------------------+-------+---------+------------+-------------+-------------+--------------------------------------+

The initial proposal was to make the VM status UNKNOWN when the host is
down but the consensus was to stick with the host_status and keep it
separate from the VM status. See the abandoned spec for details [3].

HTH,
-melwitt

[1] os_compute_api:servers:show:host_status:unknown-only in
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/policy.html
[2]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/policy-rule-for-host-status-unknown
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova-specs/+/666181