Current market share of OpenStack implementations?

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:48:57 UTC 2021

CC'ing Wes Wilson as I've had similar discussions with him in the past at
the foundation level.

I, personally, would really love a framework where projects could upload
some anonymized usage statistics and enable the entire community to query
the data. One of the biggest challenges we face in Ironic is the lack of
full context into the various scale of problems. The math starts to change
drastically as deployments scale, and without some of that context in the
community beyond operators expressing frustrations in private
conversations, it is difficult for projects to build the consensus on the
scale of problems in the open, much less the possible positive impact of
fixing the perceived problem.

Unfortunately the Foundation is likely to lean on the User Survey, but it
is opt-in and announced on a mailing list and only really captures
community participants as a result. Plus the growing trend I've heard
mentioned on multiple fronts is operators are becoming more secretive about
what they are doing with OpenStack because it is becoming an everyday
thing. It is at the lower levels of their infrastructure and divulging
details starts to become an operational security risk.