[ops] Automatically recover guests from down host

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 07:24:42 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:13 PM Ammad Syed <syedammad83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is an option in nova to evacuate host. Triggering this will rebuild all the vms running on failed host to be scheduled on other host or reserved host.
>
> You can also try Openstack Masakri that is the instance HA service for openstack.

Just following up on this: the project is called Masakari and has docs in:
https://docs.openstack.org/masakari/latest/
The team can be reached on OFTC ( https://www.oftc.net/ ) at #openstack-masakari
or via this mailing list with [masakari] tag in subject.

> Ammad
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:28 PM <DHilsbos at performair.com> wrote:
>>
>> All;
>>
>> What is the most effective means of having the OpenStack cluster restart guests when a hypervisor host fails?  We're running OpenStack Victoria, installed manually through packages.
>>
>> My apologies, but my Google foo fails me on this issue; I don't know how to ask it the question.
>>
>> I recognize that OpenStack covers a great many different deployment scenarios, and in many of these this isn't feasible.  In our case, images, volumes, and ephemeral storage are all on our Ceph cluster, so all storage is always available to all hypervisor hosts.
>>
>> I also recognize that resource restrictions mean that even in an environment such as mine, not all failed guests may be able to be restarted on new hosts.  I'm ok with a dumb best effort, at least for now.
>>
>> Is there something already present in OpenStack which would allow this?

One of the goals Masakari has is to introduce a system of recovery
prioritisation to go beyond the "dumb best effort" mentioned.
For now it's pretty simple but matches your requirements.

-yoctozepto