kayobe deploying Openstack - Train or Victoria

Pierre Riteau pierre at stackhpc.com
Fri Jun 11 15:12:21 UTC 2021

Hi Tony,

This isn't a bad place to ask questions if you like email discussion.
Just make sure to prefix your email subject lines with [kolla].
We are also on IRC (#openstack-kolla on the OFTC network).

I will reply to your questions inline.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 at 16:49, Tony Pearce <tonyppe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running into issues with deploying Openstack using Kayobe. Is this list group the best place to raise? If not, my apologies - please could you share where I need to go?
>
> 1. kayobe hangs during deployment, does not time out, does not error out when has previously been successful and without configuration changes.
>
> 2. deployment fails due to breaking the network relating to the bridge. Also changes login password which locks out of console.
>
> Details:
> 1.
> Environment deployment: Train
> all-in-one host: centos7
> Ansible control host: Ubuntu 18
>
> With the first issue, I've seen this multiple times but have not been able to find the root cause. I searched online and came across other ansible users that state their playbooks were hanging and were able to resolve by clearing cache. I've tried clearing out ~/.ansible/* and /tmp/* on the control host. Also tried doing the same on the all-in-one host without success. This issue came about after doing a full destroy of the environment and then redeploying, making a minor config change and then redeploying.

We would need more information to help you.

What does your configuration look like, in particular the network and
this bridge you mention?
What command did you run and at which step does Kayobe hang?
Are you able to SSH to your hosts successfully?

> 2.
> Environment deployment: Victoria
> all-in-one host: centos8
> Ansible control host: Ubuntu 20
>
> Because I couldnt resolve the issue above and centos 8.4 is available, I decided to try and go to centos 8 and deploy Victoria. I hit 2 issues:
>
> 1. I am unable to login with "kayobe_ansible_user" using after "kayobe overcloud host configure" with "wrong password" message. Resetting the password resolves but the password seems changed again with a host configure.

Kayobe doesn't set a password for the "stack" user, you should use SSH
keys to connect.

> 2. deployment fails when "TASK [openvswitch : Ensuring OVS bridge is properly setup]"
> Looking at the ovs container, it's unable to add the physical interface to the bridge bond0 interface, complaining that the device is busy or is already up. I saw some log messages relating to ipv6 so I tried disabling ipv6 and redeploying but the same issue.
> I then rebuilt the host again and opted not to use a bond0 interface however the same loss of network occurs. If I log into the openvswitch_db container then there are CLI commands where I can delete the bridge to restore the network.
>
> So at this point, after turning off ipv6 again and running without bond0 bond, I tried another deploy wile tailing `/var/log/kolla/openvswitch/ovs-vswitchd.log` and now I do not see any errors but the network is lost to the host and the script fails to finish deployment. I've attached the logs that appear at the point the network dies: https://pasteboard.co/K65qwzR.png

Again it would be good to see your network configuration. Do you have
a single interface without any VLAN tagging that you are trying to use
with Kayobe?