[tripleo] Changing TripleO's release model

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Jun 9 13:57:03 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-06-09 at 15:17 +0200, Alfredo Moralejo Alonso wrote:
> [...]
> > > a particular branch. For compatibility I guess it means we would have to
> > > rely on git tags so perhaps making consistently frequent (eg monthly? or
> > > more?) releases for all the tripleo repos. You could then call a
> > particular
> > > range of tags as being compatible with stable/Y for example. Does it
> > sound
> > > sane/doable from an rdo package build perspective?
> > >
> > too me this feels like we are leaking downstream product lifecycle into
> > upstream.
> > even if redhat is overwhelmingly the majority contibutor of reviews and
> > commits to
> > ooo im not sure that changing the upstream lifestyle to align more closely
> > with our product life
> > cycle is the correct thing to do.
> >
> > at least while tripleo is still in the Openstack namespaces and not the x
> > namespaces.
> > Skipping upstream release is really quite a radical departure form the
> > project original goals.
> > i think it would also be counter productive to our downstream efforts to
> > move our testing close to upstream.
> > if ooo was to lose the ablity to test master for example we would not be
> > able to use ooo in our downstream ci to test
> > feature that we plan to release osp n+1 that are develop during an
> > upstream cycle that wont be productised.
> >
> > i do not work on ooo so at the end of the day this wont affect me much but
> > to me skipping releases seam counter intuitive
> > given the previous efforts to make ooo more usable for development and ci.
> > Moving to independent
> > to decouple the lifecycle seams more reasonable if the underlying goal is
> > not to skip releases. you can release when ready
> > rather then scrambling or wating for a deadline. personally i think moving
> > in the other direction so that ooo can release sooner
> > not later would make the project more appealing as the delay in support of
> > a release is often considered a detractor for tripleo vs
> > other openstack installers.
> >
> > i would hope that this change would not have any effect on the rdo
> > packaging of non ooo packages.
> > the rdo packages are used by other instalation methods (the puppet moduels
> > for example) including i belive some of the larger chineese providers that
> > have written there own installers. i think it would be damaging to centos
> > if rdo was to skip upstream version of say nova. what might need to change
> > is the packaging of ooo itself in rdo.
> >
> > tl;dr im not against the idea of ooo moving to independent model but i
> > would hope that it will not affect RDO's packaging of non ooo projects and
> > that
> > ooo can still be used for ci of master and stable branches of for example
> > nova.
> >

> RDO has no plans on skipping releases or any other changes affecting
> non-tripleo packages. The impact of this change (unclear at this point)
> should only affect the packages for those repos.
ack

> Note that RDO aims at being used and useful for other users and deployment
> tools as Puppet modules, Kolla, or others willing to work in CentOS and
> we'd like to maintain the collaboration with them as needed.
ya that is what i was expecting. thanks for confirming.
provided the possible change in ooo direction does not negatively impact the other
consumes of rdo i dont really have an objection to ooo changing how they work if peolel think it will
make there lives and there customer live simpler in the long run.

as i said i do not work on or use ooo frequently but i have consumed the output of rdo
via kolla in the past and while i typeically prefer using the source install i know many
do use the centos binary install variant using the rdo packages.