[tripleo] Changing TripleO's release model

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso amoralej at redhat.com
Wed Jun 9 11:27:25 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM Marios Andreou <marios at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, Alfredo Moralejo Alonso <amoralej at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 2:48 AM Dan Sneddon <dsneddon at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for making the announcement. Can you clarify how the
>>> feature-freeze dates will be communicated to the greater community of
>>> contributors?
>>>
>>> - Dan Sneddon
>>>
>>> On Jun 8, 2021, at 8:21 AM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Greetings TripleO community!
>>>
>>> At the most recent TripleO community meetings we have discussed formally
>>> changing the OpenStack release model for TripleO [1].  The previous
>>> released projects can be found here [2]. TripleO has previously
>>> released with release-type[‘trailing’, ‘cycle-with-intermediary’].
>>>
>>> To quote the release model doc:
>>>
>>> ‘Trailing deliverables trail the release, so they cannot, by
>>> definition, be independent. They need to pick between cycle-with-rc
>>> <https://releases.openstack.org/reference/release_models.html#cycle-with-rc>
>>> or cycle-with-intermediary
>>> <https://releases.openstack.org/reference/release_models.html#cycle-with-intermediary>
>>> models.’
>>>
>>> We are proposing to update the release-model to ‘independent’.  This
>>> would give the TripleO community more flexibility in when we choose to cut
>>> a release.  In turn this would mean less backporting, less upstream and 3rd
>>> party resources used by potentially some future releases.
>>>

>> What does this change mean in terms of branches and compatibility for
>> OpenStack stable releases?.
>>

> as i wrote to Dan just now the main thing is that we may delay or even
> skip a particular branch. For compatibility I guess it means we would have
> to rely on git tags so perhaps making consistently frequent (eg monthly? or
> more?) releases for all the tripleo repos. You could then call a particular
> range of tags as being compatible with stable/Y for example. Does it sound
> sane/doable from an rdo package build perspective?

For me it's fine if TripleO provides a list of tags which are able to
deploy and coinstall with a certain OpenStack release, let's say stable/Y,
i don't see much problem on that, we'd need to figure out how to express
that as code.

The actual problem I see is how to maintain that working overtime during
the maintenance phase of release Y without stable/Y branches or CI jobs for
old releases. Let's assume that at GA time for Y you provide a list of tags
for tripleo projects coming from the master branch.  How will you manage a
bug affecting to tripleo on release Y or introduced by any changing factor
(OS updates, etc...)?, will master branch be kept tested and compatible
with both master and stable/Y (as branchless project do, i.e. tempest)?.
Note that frequent releases on master branches will not help to support Y
release if a change in the branch depends on changes done in more recent
releases.

>From RDO, we don't require all packages to have stable branches (we include
independent or branchless packages in the distro) but we want to provide a
validated combination of packages working for a certain synchronized
release and with the mechanism to fix it if it breaks during the
maintenance period. I'm not sure how tripleo can do this without branches
or maintaining backwards compatibility in master or other branches.