[ops][victoria] Instance Hostname Metadata

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Jun 7 21:00:03 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021, at 9:17 AM, DHilsbos at performair.com wrote:
> All;
>
> Is there an instance metadata value that will set and / or change the
> instance hostname?

Yes, there are two keys: "hostname" and "name", https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/user/metadata.html#openstack-format-metadata. I'm not completely sure what the difference is between the two, but it looks like hostname may be more of an fqdn and name is a hostname?

You then need a tool like cloud-init or glean to set the name. Glean only operates on the config drive which doesn't update post creation which means it won't handle name changes. I'm not sure if name changes are something that cloud-init can watch out for and update on the instance.