[tc] Moving IRC meetings to project channels

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Jun 3 22:29:36 UTC 2021

 ---- On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 15:52:20 -0500 Pierre Riteau <pierre at stackhpc.com> wrote ----
 > Hello,
 >
 > In the guidance to PTLs for the freenode to OFTC migration, there was
 > this guideline:
 >
 > > The TC is asking that projects take advantage of this time of change to consider moving project meetings from the #openstack-meeting* channels to their project channel.
 >
 > I was surprised since it was the first time I heard about this
 > suggested change. The project team guide [1] actually still states the
 > following:
 >
 > > The OpenStack infrastructure team maintains a limited number of channels dedicated to meetings. While teams can hold meetings on their own team IRC channels, they are encouraged to use those common meeting channels to give their meeting some external exposure. The limited number of meeting channels encourages teams to spread their meetings around and reduce conflicts.
 >
 > Is there any background regarding this proposed change? Not that I am
 > against it in any way: I have participated in meetings in both kinds
 > of channels and haven't really seen any difference.

Idea behind this is to avoid confusion over which channel has which project meeting. There are multiple meeting channel
#openstack-meeting-3, #openstack-meeting-4, #openstack-meeting-5, #openstack-meeting-alt, #openstack-meeting and
sometime it is difficult to remember which channel has which project meeting until you go and check the project doc/wiki
page or so.

Having meeting in channel itself avoid such confusion. We have been doing this for QA, TC since many year and it work perfectly.

But this is project side choice, TC is suggesting this option. I will make project-team-guide changes to add this suggestion.

-gmann