[nova] Proper way to regenerate request_specs of existing instances?

Patryk Jakuszew patryk.jakuszew at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:08:37 UTC 2021

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 at 23:14, Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:
> this has come up often enough that we __might__ (im stressing might since im not sure we really want to do this)
> consider adding a nova manage command to do this.
>
> e.g. nova-mange instance flavor-regenerate <instance uuid> and nova-mange instance image-regenerate <instance uuid>
>
> those command woudl just recrate the embeded flavor and image metadta without moving the vm or otherwise restarting it.
> you would then have to hard reboot it or migrate it sepereatlly.
>
> im not convicned this is a capablity we should provide to operators in tree however via nova-manage.
>
> with my downstream hat on im not sure how supportable it woudl for example since like nova reset-state it woudl be
> very easy to render vms unbootable in there current localthouh if a tenatn did a hard reboot and cause all kinds of stange issues
> that are hard to debug an fix.

I have the same thoughts - initially I wanted to figure out whether
such feature could be added to nova-manage toolset, but I'm not sure
it would be a welcome contribution due to the risks it creates.
*Maybe* it would help to add some warnings around it and add an
obligatory '--yes-i-really-really-mean-it' switch, but still - it may
cause undesired long-term consequences if used improperly.

On the other hand, other projects do have options that one can
consider to be similiar in nature ('cinder-manage volume update_host'
comes to mind), and I think nova-manage is considered to be a
low-level utility that shouldn't be used in day-to-day operations
anyway...