[all][sphinx] "rST localisation for language "foo" not found" error

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Wed Jul 28 16:11:03 UTC 2021

We've seen issues in some projects, whereby attempting to build translations as
part of the 'openstack-tox-docs' zuul job [1] can result in the following
warning:

  Warning, treated as error:
  ../doc/source/contributor/contributing.rst::rST localisation for language "id" not found.

Based on [2], this issue appears to have been introduced by a recent version
bump of docutils, which was in turn introduced by the introduction of Sphinx
4.x.

We don't have a resolution for this bug yet but we'll update when we do.
Hopefully this email will improve the "Google'ability" of this bug.

Stephen

[1] https://opendev.org/openstack/openstackdocstheme/src/commit/08461c5311aa692088a27eb40a87965fd8515aba/bin/docstheme-build-translated.sh#L153
[2] https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2021-April/120848.html