[wallaby][nova] Host Evacuate Instances

Ammad Syed syedammad83 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 11:56:33 UTC 2021

Hi,

>> yes so the evacutate api however should not be assumed to preserve data.
>>   orginally it did not unless you mounted the nova instnace dir on nfs,
 >> latter support for preserving cinder volumes was added to the libvirt
driver but by defalut
>> you shoudl assume that that instnace are rebuilt with a fresh image as
that is the default behavior
>>   if virt drivers dont opt in to preserving it.

>>   strictly speakign the libvirt virt driver could decide to reimage the
cinder volumes if it chose too but that is more work and would be
>>   a worse user experence so we are never going to regess this but wether
data is preserved is entirely dirver dependent.

Got it. I am using cinder backed volumes for my instances only in
production. But Openstack Trove deploy root volume of database instance on
instance directory on compute host. I am looking the way to preserve its
data. May b mounting it on NFS is a way.

$ nova host-evacuate is the advised way to recover instances (cinder backed
only) with preserving data from failed host or any other way ?

Ammad

--
Regards,

Syed Ammad Ali