Unable to Mount LVM data volume when uploading qcow2 files

KK CHN kkchn.in at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 06:44:03 UTC 2021

Members,

We are in need of   migrating  of VMs from another vendor who has hosted
all the VMs  on  their host machine using  KVM. hypervisor. No OpenStack
they are using.

We want to migrate these VMs to our fresh OpenStack Ussuri environment
setup with two host machine which using KVM and Debian as Host Operating
System.

( The VMs are  in RedHat,CentOS and Windows  machines )

The vendor has provided each VM as Three files(qcow2 files). Because they
are using additional disks for each partition.  They are telling us they
can provide this way only. They are unable to provide as single file( I'm
also not sure whether there is a way to get it as single file ? )

The existing Vendor provides the files for each VM as follows.

1. First file is Operating Sytem ( CentOS) qcow2 image

2. Second file is Boot file system as qcow2 image.

3.  Third file is  data volume(LVM data  also qcow2 image)  : The data
volume which contains the application data.

When we are uploding these files to OpenStack glance using Horizon
dashboard  the first two files  Operating Sytem and boot files are detected
for the VM.   But the Third file unable to attach.  Its not detecting.

So I tried manually mount the  data volume in command line but it throws
error "unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'

#mount /dev/vdc2 /mnt/

mount:unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'      // here vdc2 is the data
volume in question.

// /dev/vda1 is the OS partion which when uploaded to glance through
horizon no error in mounting. similarly  /dev/vdc1 the boot partion also
able to attach through horizon dash board.

Only the data volume is not getting attached and when manually tried to
mount that volume /dev/vdc2 throws the error

 "mount:unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'  "

How to resolve this issue ? whats the root cause ?

Kindly share your inputs .

Thanks in advance
Kris