VM Migration To New Hardware with OpenStack

KK CHN kkchn.in at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 05:23:09 UTC 2021

QUERY Section A:

We are in the process of   migrating VMs from a Vendor to OpenStack .

The Vendor has hosted the VMs using  RedHat Virtualization and HyperV
around 100 VMs.   Each VM size varies from 50 GB  to 150 GB size.

What is the best way to migrate these VMs to  New Hardware infra Installed
with  OpenStack Ussuri.

What need to be done at the existing live VMs with the Vendor and in what
file format  we have to ask the vendor to give the snapshot of VMs to be
migrated ?

I am new to the migration of VMs from a live production  setup ( the
present Vendor deployed VMs with all aplications running  on the VM  with
 HyperV and RedeHat  KVM. )

We are also using KVM hypervisor.

Kindly advise and direct me with all good practices followed to perform
this migration from existing  vendor to our own setup with OpenStack and
KVM.

Pls shed some light on this.

QUERY SECTION B

 Another   question  below

ffor a trail   the existing vendor has given a demo VM,  which is a Windows
VM with an ERP application hosted on it .  But the vendor handed over three
files of single VM ,  Three qcow2  files.

They handed over   three   qcow2 files  for this  VM as follows.

1.   First file  is  OS  image as qcow2

2.   /boot   as    another  qcow2 image

3.   /lv-datat   as  another qcow2  image

How to combine these files and  we can create a Running VM  from these
files and put it on   bare metal installed with   KVM only.  Is this
possible ? How ? What need to take care while doing this operation?.

your hints and direcitons highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Kris