[kolla] Clean shutdown for guest VMs when host shutdown

J-P Methot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Tue Jul 6 22:17:27 UTC 2021

Hi,

I'm about ready to go into production with kolla, but one small issue
remains. On regular Openstack deployments, I would use the
libvirt-guests service to ensure that VMs on hosts always shutdown
cleanly when the host shuts down. This is to prevent database issues
which may happen on guests during forced, unclean shutdowns.

At first glance, Kolla doesn't seem to install this service or anything
similar that would ensure clean shutdown of guests when the host shuts
down. I have found in the github source, in the tools folder, a systemd
script that is supposed to do that, but it tries to execute
/usr/libexec/libvirt-guests.sh shutdown in the libvirt container, which
doesn't exist there.

Does Kolla already ensure clean shutdown automatically, or is there a
script I'm missing that could make this work?