[Ironic] Vendor-neutral Disk names

Mahnoor Asghar mahnoor.asghar at xflowresearch.com
Tue Jul 6 10:27:10 UTC 2021

Dear Julia,

Software RAID is handled separately in metal3 BMO. You're right, we can
specify that as a limitation, since this naming convention will not work
for software RAID.

Also, we evaluated the approach you mentioned: of using disk name
translation logic in the vendor drivers. We discussed it at length with
Richard Pioso, Dmitry Tantsur and other community members, using generic
disk names like ‘Disk 0’ etc. [1]

We couldn't figure out the exact recipe of how this translation should take
place. One concern with this approach was that it would be impractical to
convert a constructed disk name into the vendor-specific disk name, for all
the vendors. However, maybe this approach would be viable using the more
verbose disk names (instead of Disk 0/1/2 initially proposed)?

Out of all the possible solutions, the one we arrived at is to construct
this naming convention using the Redfish schema in order to avoid vendor
sprawl. The objective of this proposal is to determine how all the vendors
utilize certain fields in the Redfish specification, so that we can
formulate a naming convention accordingly.

[1] [RFE] RAID config by Operator using generic disk numbers, and
vendor-specific RAID controller names | StoryBoard (openstack.org)
<https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2008866>

Thank you for your response. It is very helpful.

Regards,

Mahnoor Asghar