[DHCP][Provider Network] Instances get IP from external DHCP server

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Fri Jan 29 08:07:01 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:20:15PM +0800, dangerzone ar wrote:
> Hi, appreciate some advice on how instances in openstack get ip from
> external DHCP server. For example instance is attached to port eth1
> (physical port) and this port is connected to home/office lan port and
> requests dhcp ip. How this can be achieved.
> ***User don't know the dhcp ip range/gw/dns that will be provided by the
> dhcp sever to that instance...instance just attach to eth1 and request
> ip.***
> Similar like our pc/notebook request dhcp ip via wifi or lan port.
> How to establish this in openstack. Please advise and help me.
> Thank you

You need to disable port security on such instance. Otherwise Neutron will
block traffic from such IP address which is unknown.
Or You need to add this IP address which VM get to the allowed_address_pairs of
the VM's port.
Also, please keep in mind that You will have different IP associated to that VM
in the Neutron, and that will be visible in OpenStack API and different one will
be really used.

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Principal Software Engineer