[All] Is it time to move on from StoryBoard? (Was: [All][StoryBoard] Angular.js Alternatives)

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 19:01:44 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 5:12 PM Stephen Finucane <stephenfin at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-01-27 at 14:52 +0100, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 11:18 AM Stephen Finucane <stephenfin at redhat.com>
> wrote:

> to poll

> > > Is this an indication that we finally have to settle on another bug
> tracker?
> > > This has been discussed previously but I can't find any conclusions
> from those
> > > past discussions, hence I'm asking again. I do not intend to dismiss
> the hard
> > > work of those people working on StoryBoard in the slightest, but it
> does seem
> > > like StoryBoard as a project has never really taken off outside
> OpenStack and is
> > > having a hard time surviving, let alone growing, likely because of
> that along
> > > with the widespread use of forge-style tools (GitHub, GitLab) and more
> > > comprehensive project management tools (sigh, JIRA). I recall fungi
> (?) raising
> > > the idea of enabling the more forge'y features, including the issue
> tracker, of
> > > Gitea in the past, but there are also separate tools like (heaven
> forbid)
> > > Bugzilla, Trac, Mantis, etc. that we could use. Heck, Launchpad is
> still around
> > > and is still open source (though I recall there being other issues
> with that?).
> > > We've already made a tough decision recently, with the sunsetting of
> ask.o.o,
> > > and with the impending deprecation of Angular.js, perhaps this is as
> good a time
> > > as any to do the same with StoryBoard?
> >
> > FWIW, I started a similar thread in September 2020: [1]
> > You might want to read it too.
> >
> > [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-September/017164.html
>
> Ugh, my search wasn't anywhere near thorough enough. Apologies and thanks
> for
> the link. To summarize, it seems the blocker to using Gitea's issue
> tracking
> feature is (a) lack of support for confidential issues and (b) how the
> front-end
> is currently deployed, while the reason not to prefer Launchpad is the
> requirement to use Canonical's SSO. We're not going to be able to fix the
> latter
> so someone needs to either add confidential issue support to Gitea or
> propose
> yet another tool to fill the gap. That or help rewrite the entire frontend
> of
> StoryBoard, of course :)
>
> /me also wonders how rough newer versions of upstream Bugzilla (vs. the
> heavily
> customized Mozilla and Red Hat instances) are these days.

I only have experience with the Red Hat instance, and I find virtually any
other solution superior to it, including a shared folder over NFS (only
half-kidding).

Dmitry

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael