[infra][release] delete old EOL'd stable branches

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Wed Jan 27 11:06:41 UTC 2021

When Extended Maintenance process was created, there was no clear
decision whether EOL (and branch deletion) is needed afterwards or not.
But one thing we saw is that if a branch was EOL'd and still open, then
patches arrived, and even some got approved which caused errors +
confusions. Also, if the branch is open and periodic jobs are not
deleted, then those are still running day by day. In this case only the
branch deletion is the solution (as clearly those branches cannot accept
job fixing patches).

Though, you are right that if we don't even tag a branch with
'$series-eol', then the above issue does not come. So theoretically we
could forget about the 'eol' process, it would not cause any issue in my
understanding. The periodic jobs needs to be deleted from .zuul.yaml of
course, and maybe some other cleanup, otherwise it is possible. That's
true. I can accept this, and this was my concept, too, in the beginning.

Előd