[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jan 20 22:05:30 UTC 2021

On 1/20/21 6:42 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> I am still not convinced how 'removal of indirect deps from l-c' make
> 'Know the lower bounds of openstack packages' better? I think it makes it
> less informative than it is currently. How we will know the lower
> bound for indirect deps?

I do not expect OpenStack upstream to solve that problem.

> Do not packagers need those

We may, but this is studied for each direct dependency one by one. I see
no point trying to solve indirect dependency version bounds, as it's up
to each direct dependency to test them.

> In general, my take here as an upstream maintainer is that we should ship
> the things completely tested/which serve the complete planned mission.
> We should not ship/commit anything as half baked. And we keep such things
> open as one of the TODO if anyone volunteers to fix it.

What was completely wrong was, a few years from now, shipping
artificially inflated lower bounds, like, expressing that each and every
projected needed the very last version for all oslo library, which was
obviously not the case.

The lower bound testing was trying to address this. Not indirect
dependencies, which IMO is completely out of scope. However, when
testing a lower bound for a direct dependency, you may need a lower
version of an indirect dependency, and that's where it becomes tricky.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)