[nova] Selecting PCI devices by their addresses

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:08:36 UTC 2021

Stupid question of the day: if I am not mistaken, I can ask nova[1]
which pci/pcie devices it knows and where they are. And it will reply
with the PCI address for each device it knows of. But, when I want to
create flavours so I can create (libvirt-based) instances using them,
I cannot tie an alias to a specific pci address; all I can do is say
"this pci_alias is for all the pci devices with this vendor_id and
product_id that I whitelisted already"[2]. Since libvirt allows me to
feed a vm guest the exact pci device I want, could anyone point out
which obvious step I am missing here?

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Pci-api-support
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/pci-passthrough.html#configure-nova-compute-compute