[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 11:13:39 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 07:26 +0000, Lucian Petrut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For Windows related projects such as os-win and networking-hyperv,
> we decided to keep the lower constraints job but remove indirect
> dependencies from the lower-constraints.txt file.
>
> This made it much easier to maintain and it allows us to at least cover
> direct dependencies. I suggest considering this approach instead of
> completely dropping the lower constraints job, whenever possible.
> Another option might be to make it non-voting while it’s getting fixed.
>
> Lucian Petrut

Yes, I've looked into doing this elsewhere (as promised) and it seems to do the
job quite nicely. It's not perfect but it does seem to be "good enough" and
captures basic things like "I depend on this function found in oslo.foo vX.Y and
forgot to bump my minimum version to reflect this". I think these jobs probably
offer _more_ value now than they did in the past, given pip is now finally
honouring the explicit constraints we express in these files, so I would be in
favour of this approach rather than dropping l-c entirely. I do realize that
there is some degree of effort here in getting e.g. all the oslo projects fixed,
but I'm happy to help out with and have already fixed quite a few projects. I
also wouldn't be opposed to dropping l-c on *stable* branches so long as we
maintained for master, on the basis that they were already broken so nothing is
really changing. Sticking to older, admittedly broken versions of pip for stable
branches is another option and might help us avoid a deluge of "remove/fix l-c"
patches for stable branches, but I don't know how practical that is?

Stephen