[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 19 23:51:49 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-20 00:09:39 +0100 (+0100), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> Something I don't understand: why can't we use an older version of
> pip, if the problem is the newer pip resolver? Or can't the
> current pip be patched to fix things? It's not as if there was no
> prior art... Maybe I'm missing the big picture?
[...]

To get to the heart of the matter, when using older versions of pip
it was just quietly installing different versions of packages than
we asked it to, and versions of transitive dependencies which
directly conflicted with the versions other dependencies said they
required. When pip finally (very recently) implemented a coherent
dependency solver, it started alerting us directly to this fact. We
could certainly find a way to hide our heads in the sand and go back
to testing with old pip and pretending we knew what was being tested
there, but the question is whether what we were actually testing
that way was worthwhile enough to try to continue doing it, now that
we have proof it wasn't what we were wanting to test.

The challenge with actually testing what we wanted has always been
that there's many hundreds of packages we depend on and, short of
writing one ourselves, no tool available to find a coherent set of
versions of them which satisfy the collective lower bounds. The way
pip works, it wants to always solve for the newest possible
versions which satisfy an aggregate set of version ranges, and what
we'd want for lower bounds checking is the inverse of that.
--
Jeremy Stanley