[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Jan 19 07:03:25 UTC 2021

On 1/18/21 7:23 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>  ---- On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 15:04:34 -0600 Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote ----
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > On 1/6/21 6:59 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
>  > > Hello Everyone,
>  > >
>  > > You might have seen the discussion around dropping the lower constraints
>  > > testing as it becomes more challenging than the current value of doing it.
>  >
>  > As a downstream distribution package maintainer, I see this as a major
>  > regression of the code quality that upstream is shipping. Without l-c
>  > tests, there's no assurance of the reality of a lower-bound dependency.
>  >
>  > So then we're back to 5 years ago, when OpenStack just artificially was
>  > setting very high lower bound because we just didn't know...
>
> Hi Zigo,
>

> We discussed the usage of l-c file among different packagers in 14th Jan TC meeting[1],
>
> can you confirm if Debian directly depends on l-c file and use them OR it is good for
> code quality if project maintains it?
>
> Below packagers does not use l-c file instead use u-c
> - RDO
> - openstack-charms
> - ubuntu
>

> [1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2021/tc.2021-01-14-15.00.log.html#l-105
>
> -gmann

Hi,

Of course, I'm using upper-constraints too, to try to package them as
much as possible, however, the dependencies are expressed according to
lower-constraints.

Let's say we have dependency a that has ===2.1 in u-c, but 1.9 in l-c.
I'll write:

Depends:
 a (>= 1.9)

but will try to get 2.1 in Debian. At the end, if 1.9 is in Debian
stable backports, I may attempt to not do the backporting job for 2.1,
as the project is telling me 1.9 works ok and that it's useless work.

Does this make sense now?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)