[TripleO] moving stable/rocky for tripleo repos to unmaintained (+ then EOL) OK?

Herve Beraud hberaud at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 17:01:24 UTC 2021

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply, and thanks for the heads up.

Can't we move directly to EOL [1]?
I don't see reason to keep an unmaintained repo open, and if the repos
remain open and patches merged then it's not really unmaintained repos.

The goal of the extended maintenance was to offer more chances to
downstream maintainers to get/share patches and fixes, if you decide to not
maintain them anymore then I would suggest you to move to "EOL" directly,
it would be less misleading.

Notice that if you move rocky to eol all the corresponding branches will be
dropped in your repos.

Also notice that last week we proposed a new kind of tag (<series>-last)
[2][3] for Tempest's needs, but because tempest is branchless...

Maybe we could extend this notion (-last) to allow the project to reflect
the last step...
It could reflect that it will be your last release, and that the project is
near from the end.

But if you don't plan to merge patches, or if you don't have patches to
merge anymore, then I would really suggest to you to move directly to EOL,
else it means that you're not really "unmaintained".

Hopefully it will help you to find the solution that fits your needs.

Let me know if you have more questions.

[1]
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20180301-stable-branch-eol.html#end-of-life
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/releases/+/770265