[rpm-packaging]release] Update our deliverables accordingly to the SIG governance model

Herve Beraud hberaud at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 08:42:01 UTC 2021

Dear rpm team fellows,

I take off my release PTL cap to discuss with you as a teammate about some
inconsistencies in our deliverables.

Indeed, last week we noticed some inconsistencies between the rpm-packaging
team's deliverables described in the governance’s reference and
deliverables defined in the openstack/releases repo.

Since rpm-packaging became a SIG our deliverables [1][2][3] aren't managed
by the release team anymore, so we should act accordingly to reflect that.

Two choices are available to us:
1) mark these project as "release-model: abandoned" in the governance repo
[4];
2) remove the corresponding files from openstack/releases [1][2][3].

Each choice has pros and cons:
- by choosing 1) it will reflect that our projects are abandoned, which is
wrong, our projects are still active but not released by the coordinated
releases anymore;
- by choosing 2) it will reflect that we have always been a SIG, which is
wrong too.

I personally prefer 2) to allow us to avoid misleading someone by having an
abandoned status, indeed, reflecting a SIG is less misleading than
reflecting an abandoned project.

Here is the list of our deliverables that should be addressed:
- renderspec [1]
- pymod2pkg [2]
- rpm-packaging [3]

Any opinion?

For further details please take a look to our previous meeting discussion
[5].

Thanks for reading,

[1]
https://opendev.org/openstack/releases/src/branch/master/deliverables/_independent/renderspec.yaml