[all][dev] Beware how fun the new pip can be

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 20:10:27 UTC 2021

A quick addendum after discussion with Clark (to make it easier to
digest for everyone).

The actors from PyPI:
msgpack - the latest is 1.0.2 and that is what is in the
upper-constraints that are being used
fluent-logger - the latest is 0.9.6 and this is being installed *unconstrained*
fluent-logger sets one dep: msgpack<1.0.0 since fluent-logger 0.9.5

The result:

1) old pip
msgpack==1.0.2
fluent-logger==0.9.6
and a WARNING that fluent-logger 0.9.6 wants msgpack<1.0.0

2) new pip
msgpack==1.0.2
fluent-logger==0.9.4
and no WARNINGs, no ERRORs, no anything, just happy silent "I got you
your package, so what if it is not the latest, I am the smart one
here"
i.e. controlling *dependencies* controls *dependants*

And don't get me wrong, pip did what it advertised - took a list of
constraints and found a solution.

The outtake is simple: beware! :-)

-yoctozepto