[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 10:15:59 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-01-06 at 11:59 -0600, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> You might have seen the discussion around dropping the lower constraints
> testing as it becomes more challenging than the current value of doing it.
>
> Few of the ML thread around this discussion:
>
> - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-December/019521.html
> - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-December/019390.html
>
> As Oslo and many other project dropping or already dropped it, we should decide it for all
> other projects also otherwise it can be more changing than it is currently.
>
> We have not defined it in PTI or testing runtime so it is always up to projects if they still
> want to keep it but we should decide a general recommendation here.

Out of curiosity, would limiting the list in lower-constraints to the set of
requirements listed in 'requirements.txt' help matters? That would at least
ensure the lower version of our explicit dependencies worked. The main issue I
could see with this is potentially a lot of thrashing from pip as it attempts to
find versions of implicit dependencies that satisfy the various constraints, but
I guess we'll have to address that when we come to it.

Stephen