[all][tc] Thoughts on Python 3.7 support

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 5 21:51:08 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-05 22:32:58 +0100 (+0100), Pierre Riteau wrote:
> There have been many patches submitted to drop the Python 3.7
> classifier from setup.cfg:
> https://review.opendev.org/q/%2522remove+py37%2522
> The justification is that Wallaby tested runtimes only include 3.6 and 3.8.
>
> Most projects are merging these patches, but I've seen a couple of
> objections from ironic and horizon:
>
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/python-ironicclient/+/769044
> - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/horizon/+/769237
>
> What are the thoughts of the TC and of the overall community on this?
> Should we really drop these classifiers when there are no
> corresponding CI jobs, even though more Python versions may well be
> supported?

My recollection of the many discussions we held was that the runtime
document would recommend the default python3 available in our
targeted platforms, but that we would also make a best effort to
test with the latest python3 available to us at the start of the
cycle as well. It was suggested more than once that we should test
all minor versions in between, but this was ruled out based on the
additional CI resources it would consume for minimal gain. Instead
we deemed that testing our target version and the latest available
would give us sufficient confidence that, if those worked, the
versions in between them were likely fine as well. Based on that, I
think the versions projects claim to work with should be contiguous
ranges, not contiguous lists of the exact versions tested (noting
that those aren't particularly *exact* versions to begin with).

Apologies for the lack of references to old discussions, I can
probably dig some up from the ML and TC meetings several years back
of folks think it will help inform this further.
--
Jeremy Stanley