[nova] workarounds and operator experience around bug 1522307/1908133

Rodrigo Barbieri rodrigo.barbieri2010 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 17:17:58 UTC 2021

Hi Nova folks and OpenStack operators!

I have had some trouble recently where while using the "images_type = rbd"
libvirt option my ceph cluster got filled up without I noticing and froze
all my nova services and instances.

I started digging and investigating why and how I could prevent or
workaround this issue, but I didn't find a very reliable clean way.

I documented all my steps and investigation in bug 1908133 [0]. It has been
marked as a duplicate of 1522307 [1] which has been around for quite some
time, so I am wondering if any operators have been using nova + ceph in
production with "images_type = rbd" config set and how you have been
handling/working around the issue.

Thanks in advance!

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1908133
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1522307