[puppet-openstack] stop using the ${pyvers} variable

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Sun Feb 28 11:10:08 UTC 2021

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 3:32 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2/27/21 3:52 PM, Takashi Kajinami wrote:
> > I have posted a comment on the said patch but I prefer using pyvers in
> > that specific patch because;
> >  - The change seems to be a backport candidate and using pyvers helps us
> > backport the change
> >    to older branches like Train which still supports python 2 IIRC.
>
> Even Rocky is already using python3 in Debian/Ubuntu. The last distro
> using the Python 2 version would be Stretch (which is long EOLed) and
> Bionic (at this time, people should be moving to Focal, no ?, which IMO
> are not targets for backports.
>
> Therefore, for this specific patch, even if you want to do a backport,
> it doesn't make sense.
>
> Are you planning to do such a backport for the RPM world?
>
> We still have queens open for puppet-openstack modules.
IIRC rdo rocky is based on CentOS7 and Python2.
Also, I don't really like to see inconsistent implementation caused by
backport
knowing that we don't support python3 in these branches.
Anyway we can consider that when we actually backport the change.

> >  - We still use pyvers in the other modules so it would make sense to
> > have consistent implementation
> >    before we actually remove usage of pyvers from all modules.
>
> The fact that we're using pyvers in other modules isn't relevant,
> because I'm hereby proposing to remove such a usage.

OK. If we can get rid of pyvers from all modules in this cycle then we can
go in this direction.
Note that when we remove pyvers then we also need to clean up existing
implementations
for CentOS7 to select package names in unit tests.