[ops] Where is the instance Action Log stored and how to externally access it and send to ELK?

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 03:27:32 UTC 2021

On 2/23/21 15:13, Linebarger, John wrote:
> Where is the instance Action Log stored (the one you can see on the
> Horizon dashboard if you select an instance) and how can it be
> externally accessed, either by CLI or HTTPS or in any other way? It
> doesn’t seem to map to anything stored in the Nova logs in
> /var/log/nova, at least that I can see. We want to send instance Action
> Logs to an ELK stack for indexing and display, but are not yet able to
> figure out how to do so.

Hi,

The instance actions are stored in the nova database and are accessible
via the REST API [1] or the 'openstack server event' CLI commands [2].

Just as a FYI if you didn't already know, nova emits notifications [3]
which you can also use to collect various data.

HTH,
-melanie

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/#servers-actions-servers-os-instance-actions