Need core reviewers for sqlalchemy-migrate

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 02:24:49 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-02-23 at 21:22 +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 2/23/21 8:25 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Quite the contrary, oslo.db just deprecated migrate support:
> > > https://opendev.org/openstack/oslo.db/commit/fc855875236fd3bf760237fc64092f4a9d864fcb
> > >
> > > This came up in the keystone meeting a few weeks ago because the
> > > deprecation broke their test jobs. Unfortunately, from looking at
> > > other projects' migration patches it doesn't appear to be trivial
> > [...]
> >
> > For a bit of history, the SQLAM maintainers decided to abandon the
> > project, so it was forked into StackForge (remember StackForge?) by
> > https://review.openstack.org/36723 in mid-2013. The commit message
> > at the time suggested, "The overall project plan is to transition to
> > alembic." I guess 8 years isn't enough warning to get that to
> > happen.
>
> Right!
>
> Though there was the plan to move to Alembic, as mentioned in this
> thread, the transition may not be easy.
>
> That original author happened to be a Debian developer, and I was the
> one telling the list about the situation. And that's how I became a core
> reviewer of the project, even if I don't even know how to write a
> program that would SQLAM.
>
> We still have Nova, Cinder, Heat, and probably others that still use
> SQLAM, so it's probably not the best idea to abandon it just yet... :)
>
> Therefore, I'm asking again: someone must step up to maintain SQLAM.
if im not mistaken it used to be maintained by Matt Riedemann until he moved on form openstack
last year. The nova team had felt that the maintance of sqlam was not not more then the cost
of doing the transitaion so it was a low priorty task to move and matt and other just fixed
SQLAM whenever it needed to be fixed.

nova is currently in the processs of droping it and adopting alembic.
https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:%22bp%252Fcompact-db-migrations-wallaby%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)
i think the plan is still to complet that work before the end of the cycle.
the primary db has already beeen compacted and once all the migrations are flattened we planned to use alembic for future
migrations. im not sure alembic will be adopted this cycle for nova but it should be next cycle.

its ok for oslo.db to deprecate sqlam support provdied they do not remove it untll all the projects have moved.