Need core reviewers for sqlalchemy-migrate

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Feb 23 19:25:05 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-23 12:39:47 -0600 (-0600), Ben Nemec wrote:
> On 2/23/21 11:42 AM, Jay Bryant wrote:
> > On 2/23/2021 11:11 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
[...]
> > > I may have things mixed up now, but I thought I was told a few
> > > years ago now that sqlalchemy-migrate was deprecated and that
> > > projects should be migrating to alembic now.
> >
> > This was my understanding as well.  Has that position changed?
>
> Quite the contrary, oslo.db just deprecated migrate support:
> https://opendev.org/openstack/oslo.db/commit/fc855875236fd3bf760237fc64092f4a9d864fcb
>
> This came up in the keystone meeting a few weeks ago because the
> deprecation broke their test jobs. Unfortunately, from looking at
> other projects' migration patches it doesn't appear to be trivial
[...]

For a bit of history, the SQLAM maintainers decided to abandon the
project, so it was forked into StackForge (remember StackForge?) by
https://review.openstack.org/36723 in mid-2013. The commit message
at the time suggested, "The overall project plan is to transition to
alembic." I guess 8 years isn't enough warning to get that to
happen.
--
Jeremy Stanley