Need core reviewers for sqlalchemy-migrate

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Feb 23 18:39:47 UTC 2021

On 2/23/21 11:42 AM, Jay Bryant wrote:

> On 2/23/2021 11:11 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 09:21:18PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Left, there's only myself and Monty as core reviewers. I don't have the
>>> skills, or time for this. The only reason I'm a core reviewer, is that
>>> historically, I was the one pointing out it got unmaintained, back a
>>> long time ago (many years from now).
>>>
>>> So it'd be nice of some people could step up and become core reviewer of
>>> SQLA-migrate please.
>>>
>> I may have things mixed up now, but I thought I was told a few years
>> ago now
>> that sqlalchemy-migrate was deprecated and that projects should be
>> migrating to
>> alembic now.
>
> This was my understanding as well.  Has that position changed?

Quite the contrary, oslo.db just deprecated migrate support:
https://opendev.org/openstack/oslo.db/commit/fc855875236fd3bf760237fc64092f4a9d864fcb

This came up in the keystone meeting a few weeks ago because the
deprecation broke their test jobs. Unfortunately, from looking at other
projects' migration patches it doesn't appear to be trivial to move to
alembic.

Based on the commit message, I think the deprecation was more intended
to prod users of migrate to move off it as opposed to start a ticking
clock for its removal, but we should have a discussion about how exactly
projects should proceed. Maybe a pop-up team that could write docs and
provide a point of contact for people with questions?