Unexpected MAC Address Change

Lazuardi Nasution mrxlazuardin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:01:26 UTC 2021

Hi,

Today, I find some of our Windows Server VMs cannot be accessed. After some
inspection, I find that there is expected MAC address change on those VMs.
There are inconsistencies between "ps aux | grep instance-***" output on
such compute nodes where affected VMs reside, with "virsh dumpxml
instance-***" on the same compute nodes. The  "virsh dumpxml instance-***"
output is consistent with TAP interface MAC address on "ip link" output and
the MAC address of port list on OpenStack dashboard/CLI.

Following are one of those outputs. This weirdness is back to normal after
I do a live migration to another compute node.

virsh dumpxml instance-000003e5
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='fa:16:3e:ef:4e:3b'/>
      <source bridge='br-int'/>

ps aux | grep instance-000003e5
netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=fa:16:3e:8e:92:f0

What can change the MAC address on  "ps aux | grep instance-***" output?
This weirdness happens on Ussuri with Ubuntu 20.04 and OVN. Is this a bug?
What kind of bug? Is there any other information should I look for to find
the root cause?

Best regards,