[QA] Migrate from testr to stestr

Sorin Sbarnea ssbarnea at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 08:20:02 UTC 2021

While switch from testr to stestr is a no brainer short term move, I want
to mention the maintenance risks.

I personally see the stestr test dependency a liability because the project
is not actively maintained and mainly depends on a single person. It is not
unmaintained either.

Due to such risks I preferred to rely on pytest for running tests, as I
prefer to depend on an ecosystem that has a *big* pool of maintainers.

Do not take my remark as a proposal to switch to pytest, is only about risk
assessment. I am fully aware of how easy is to write impure unittests with
pytest, but so far I did not regret going this route.

I know that OpenStack historically loved to redo everything in house and
minimise involvement with other open source python libraries. There are
pros and cons on each approach but I personally prefer to bet on projects
that are thriving and that are unlikely to need me to fix framework
problems myself.

Cheers,
Sorin

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 17:59, Martin Kopec <mkopec at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> testr unit test runner (testrepository package [1]) hasn't been updated
> for years, therefore during Shanghai PTG [2] we came up with an initiative
> to migrate from testr to stestr (testr's successor) [3] unit test runner.
> Here is an etherpad which tracks the effort [4]. However as there is still
> quite a number of the projects which haven't migrated, we would like to
> kindly ask you for your help. If you are a maintainer of a project which is
> mentioned in the etherpad [4] and it's not crossed out yet, please migrate
> to stestr.
>
> [1] https://pypi.org/project/testrepository/
> [2] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/shanghai-ptg-qa
> [3] https://pypi.org/project/stestr/