[all] Gate resources and performance

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Feb 8 11:50:40 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-02-06 at 20:51 +0100, Slawek Kaplonski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dnia sobota, 6 lutego 2021 10:33:17 CET Dmitry Tantsur pisze:
> > On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 12:10 AM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> > > On 2021-02-05 22:52:15 +0100 (+0100), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Zuul generally assumes that if a change fails tests, it's going to
> > > need to be revised.
> >
> > Very unfortunately, it's far from being the case in the ironic world.
> >
> > > Gerrit will absolutely refuse to allow a change
> > > to merge if its parent has been revised and the child has not been
> > > rebased onto that new revision. Revising or rebasing a change clears
> > > the Verified label and will require new test results.
> >
> > This is fair, I'm only referring to the case where the parent has to be
> > rechecked because of a transient problem.
> >
> > > Which one or
> > > more of these conditions should be considered faulty? I'm guessing
> > > you're going to say it's the first one, that we shouldn't assume
> > > just because a change fails tests that means it needs to be fixed.
> >
> > Unfortunately, yes.
> >
> > A parallel proposal, that has been rejected numerous times, is to allow
> > recheching only the failed jobs.
>
> Even if I totally understand cons of that I would also be for such
> possibility. Maybe e.g. if only cores would have such possibility somehow
> would be good trade off?
it would require zuul to fundemtally be altered.
currently triggers are defined at teh pipeline level we would have to instead define them per job.
and im not sure restcting it to core would really help. it might but unless we force the same commit
hashes to be reused so that all jobs used the same exact version fo the code i dont think it safe.