[all] Gate resources and performance

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Sun Feb 7 16:25:29 UTC 2021

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2021-02-07 14:58:14 +0100 (+0100), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> [...]
> > Although currently there is an unfortunately tendency between
> > newcomers to blindly recheck their patches despite clearly not
> > passing some checks. If they could recheck only some jobs, it
> > would limit their negative impact on the whole CI (and maybe make
> > them realize that it's always the same jobs that fail).
> [...]
>
> Put differently, there is a strong tendency for newcomers and
> long-timers alike to just beep blindly rechecking their buggy
> changed until they merge and introduce new nondeterministic
> behaviors into the software. If they only needed to recheck the
> specific jobs which failed on those bugs they're introducing one
> build at a time, it would become far easier for them to accomplish
> their apparent (judging from this habit) goal of making the software
> essentially unusable and untestable.

I cannot confirm your observation. In the cases I've seen it's a hard
failure, completely deterministic, they just fail to recognize it.

In any case, leaving this right to cores only more or less fixes this
concern.

Dmitry

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael