[all] testtools and support for Python 3.10 (error du to deprecation of distutils)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Dec 13 16:48:16 UTC 2021

On 2021-12-13 17:24:23 +0100 (+0100), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> When I try to build rally-openstack, I get this, in the test discovery:
[...]
> /usr/lib/python3.10/distutils/__init__.py:19: in <module>
>     warnings.warn(_DEPRECATION_MESSAGE,
> E   DeprecationWarning: The distutils package is deprecated and slated
> for removal in Python 3.12. Use setuptools or check PEP 632 for
> potential alternatives
[...]
> Can someone work on removing distutils support from Testtools? Or is
> there a way to trick pytest to not fail? Help would be greatly
> appreciated here.

PYTHONWARNINGS must be getting set to "error" somewhere. Are you
setting it at invocation maybe? In order to be able to run with
dependencies that call distutils I currently do something like this:

    PYTHONWARNINGS = error, ignore:The distutils package is
        deprecated and slated for removal in Python 3.12. Use
        setuptools or check PEP 632 for potential
        alternatives:DeprecationWarning

All on one line of course. And yes, ideally someone should fix
testtools before 3.11 releases, so people can still use it on 3.12
alpha releases once those are available.
--
Jeremy Stanley