[all][tc] Skyline as a new official project [was: What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 15th Oct, 21: Reading: 5 min]

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 17:21:55 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-12-09 at 16:57 +0100, Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> The current governance requires the projects to follow certain guidelines [1], some of which are already covered by skyline. One of such guidelines is the PTI [2], which is detailed in more details for python in [3].
>
> I am interested by the case of Skyline.
> Skyline is a truely new project for OpenStack, bringing value to the ecosystem. It is forward looking.
> Yes, it is different than existing projects.
> Yes, it doesn't pass the pti for python [3].
>
> If you check the PTI for golang [4], many of those commands could be easily wired on Skyline project using a Makefile (of course it wouldn't pass the dependency management part of that document, for which we require glide [5]... unmaintained since 2019, ahem... [6]).
>
> So the question is: Is OpenStack ready to move forward and adapt to new kinds of packaging/software? If yes, let's modify the PTIs (or python PTI) to cover the case for skyline, and allow that team to move forward.
> It's not like it's doing something very different than some new python projects.
using a make file to me woudl be alarge regression in packaging and it does not align with the upstream recomendation for package form the python packaging athority.
i support using projects.toml and the new standardised build system and i woudl be open to changeing the pti to allow that but
i dont think tha tallow make files would be a good thing. the use of poetry is also an interesting choice that has some advandtges but it will break much of our tooling with regards
to upper-constraints.txt.

i woudl personally find it rather suprising as a downstream packageer or end user to consume skyline as currently wtieen as either a standar python proejct or an openstack one
if i had to use make to build or install it.

i am happy to see that tox is used but since its callign dirctly into make i really dont think it being used the way it is intended to be.

> Yes, OpenStack is mature... I (simply) hope it's also a place for casual contributions, and where developers can have fun with tech. And yes, it won't please everyone from day one (especially distros), but I hope we can work this out together, rather than discard the project because it doesn't fit the mold.

is there a reaosbon bveyond its fun to do it this way.
to me this add barries to contibutors using the proejct and to packagees consuming it.