[nova] How to update OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:hostname

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Dec 7 10:53:17 UTC 2021

On 12/7/21 11:20 AM, Kamil Madáč wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask, how to update OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:hostname via
> openstack CLI? We changed hostnames on bunch of instances, but metadata
> service still serves old hostname which causes that every future rebuild
> of instance reverts hostname (`hostname` command in instance console)
> back to old one.
>
> Kamil Madáč
> /Slovensko IT a.s./

Looks like what you want to do is disable cloud-init editing of your VM
hostname. This is done simply by cloud-init to stop doing this. Simply
edit /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg and set:

preserve_hostname: true

or remove any cloud-init module from the "cloud_init_modules:" list.
Simply remove the lines containing:
- set_hostname
- update_hostname
- update_etc_hosts