[nova] Spawning instance that will do PXE booting

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Mon Dec 6 17:05:46 UTC 2021

Hey all,

On 03/12/2021 21:01, Cedric Lemarchand wrote:
> We faced the same use case, and we end up doing something like this:
>
> - disable security on the network provider (or on the instance port
> where pxe boot is needed)
> - deploy or rescue the intance with an ipxe image

I ran into this exact issue in the past, searching for possibilities to
boot Nova instances using PXE.
Certainly the actual boot server should not be provided by Nova in any
way - it's more about getting a VM to network boot.

Actually the only change required would be to enable netboot via the
boot order:

   * https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#specifying-boot-order

There also have been blueprints or implementation attempts for nova before:

  * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/boot-order-for-instance
  * https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova-specs/+/133254/

Maybe if someone from the Nova devs would give an indication if
supporting network boot would  be worth discussing?
The most basic use-case certainly are staging environments for physical
(server) systems that do network boot.
But I believe there likely are more ideas others could contribute.

Christian