[all][tc] What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 3rd Dec, 21: Reading: 10 min

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Dec 3 19:27:18 UTC 2021

Hello Everyone,

Here is this week's summary of the Technical Committee activities.

1. TC Meetings:
============
* Most of the meeting discussions are summarized below (Completed or in-progress activities
section). Meeting full logs are available @
- Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwGYse8j4UY
- Topic Info logs: https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2021/tc.2021-12-02-15.02.log.html

* Next week's meeting is on IRC on 9th Dec, Thursday 15:00 UTC, feel free the topic on
the agenda[1] by 8th Dec.

2. What we completed this week:
=========================
* Goal proposal for RBAC is merged and the next step is to select it[2]
* Add ansible-collection-kolla repo to Kolla project[3]

3. Activities In progress:
==================
TC Tracker for Yoga cycle
------------------------------
* This etherpad includes the Yoga cycle targets/working items for TC[4].

Open Reviews
-----------------
* 9 open reviews for ongoing activities[5].

TC position on release cadence
-------------------------------------
You might have seen the ML thread on the release cadence[6]. We discussed it in
this week's TC meeting so that we can provide the TC stand on this. There are mixed
amounts of opinions on the different proposals like doing 1-year release, no coordinated
release, more releases, mixed LTS release and keeping it same which is 6-month release etc.
One of the key things we discussed is how to improve the upgrade process which is one of
the key points to revise the current release model. Dan made a good proposal on grenade
testing the 'n-1' -> 'n' (current) and 'n-2' -> 'n' (new) so that we make sure 'n' release is
upgrade-able from 'n-1' as well as 'n-2' release. For that, we need to think about the deprecation
phase to be n+2 release then n+1. Along with that, we can add/improve our upgrade
documentation.

These are a few ideas we discussed but due to time constraints, we have not concluded yet. We
will set up a separate call to continue the discussion sometime in Jan start(after the Christmas
holidays)

Yoga testing runtime
-------------------------
We have an agreement now on Yoga testing runtime and keeping python3.6
support in Yoga, you can see the details in this ML[7]

Fixing Zuul config error
--------------------------
If your project is listed in zuul config error, please start planning to fix those[8]

RBAC discussion: continuing from PTG
The goal proposal is not merged and the next step is to select this goal which is in
progress[8] with a good amount of positive votes and no objection yet.

Community-wide goal updates
------------------------------------
* Proposed goals:
** RBAC goal is pretty much in good shape now, feel free to review it[9]
* Under review:
** FIPS compatibility and compliance [10].

Adjutant need maintainers and PTLs
We are waiting to hear from Braden, Albert on permission to work on this project[11].

New project 'Skyline' proposal
------------------------------------
* TC is still waiting for skyline team to respond to open queries[12].

TC tags analysis
-------------------
* TC agreed to remove the framework and it is communicated in ML[13].

Project updates
-------------------
* Add NVidia vGPU plugin charm to OpenStack charms[14]
* Retire js-openstack-lib [15]

4. How to contact the TC:
====================
If you would like to discuss or give feedback to TC, you can reach out to us in multiple ways:

1. Email: you can send the email with tag [tc] on openstack-discuss ML[16].
2. Weekly meeting: The Technical Committee conduct a weekly meeting every Thursday 15 UTC [17]
3. Ping us using 'tc-members' nickname on #openstack-tc IRC channel.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Next_Meeting
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/815158
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/819331
[4] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/tc-yoga-tracker