Support for ONOS

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Aug 27 14:10:39 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-08-27 at 19:09 +0530, Hrishikesh Karanjikar wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> Thanks a lot for the clarification.
> I am wondering how smart nics attached to a compute node (which runs
> ovs-dpdk) can be configured using sdn controllers so that the
> ovs/tunneling/ipsec functionality on the compute node is offloaded to
> smartnic and compute node cpu is free to do other stuffs?

i responed privatly too but what you are discribing is hardware offloaded ovs
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/admin/config-ovs-offload.html
which is supported by ml2/ovs and ml2/ovn although with most testign done with ml2/ovs

in general this feature is not compatible with sdn contolers today although as i noted
in my other respocne contrail has limited support for hardwar offload with there vrouter solution
but i generally do not recommend that  solution since it has miniumal testing upstream.

there is some other work to move ovs entirely to run on the smart nics where those smatnics have
embded arm cores. that work is very much not ready for production and still under design
there are 3 competting approches to taht on via ironic one via cybrog and one in nova.
they all work slightly differnetly and serve slightly differnt usecase and hardware.

if you want somethin you can use today or even in the next 12 months you want hardware offload
ovs with ml2/ovs or possibel ml2/ovn although ovn support for hardware offload is much newer and
less well tested although long term that is likely where more of the investment will go.