[nova][qa][infra] Adding no_timer_check to the kernel command line of our CI images

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Thu Aug 19 13:37:15 UTC 2021

On 19-08-21 10:02:27, Lee Yarwood wrote:
> On 19-08-21 09:07:39, Radosław Piliszek wrote:

> > > The best way is probably to update the image upstream and then
> > > update the cirros version in our tests?
> > > https://github.com/cirros-dev/cirros/blob/master/src/boot/grub/menu.lst#L10
> > > or maybe with a kernel build flag? Smoser does note in 1312199 above
> > > that baking this into the image is an option though that was some
> > > time ago.
> >
> > > If you want to modify the existing images instead it would probably
> > > be a good idea to have something like devstack do it rather than the
> > > CI system so that people running tools like devstack don't end up
> > > with different images outside of the CI system.
> >
> > +1 on both the approaches. With slight preference to just modify
> > cirros upstream - it's not a production image so we can tweak it to
> > suit kvm-less qemu constraints without worry.
>
> Okay I can try both for the time being as I'm not entirely convinced
> that Cirros upstream will accept the change, removing the devstack
> change if they ever do.

After talking to sean-k-mooney in #opentack-nova we have ended up
reviving an old workaround option Sean had to remove the apic entirely
from our test instances:

https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:workaround-disable-apic

I've also pushed a PR upstream in Cirros but as I said before I'm pretty
doubtful this will ever land:

https://github.com/cirros-dev/cirros/issues/69

https://github.com/cirros-dev/cirros/pull/70

Cheers,

--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76