[all][tc] Technical Committee next weekly meeting on Aug 19th at 1500 UTC

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 12:58:16 UTC 2021

On 8/18/21 11:56 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Below is the agenda for Tomorrow's TC meeting schedule at 1500 UTC in #openstack-tc IRC channel.

[snip]

> * Moving weekly meetings to video/voice calls.
> ** Example: https://ircbot.wl.linuxfoundation.org/meetings/fdio-meeting/2021/fd_io_csit_project_meeting/fdio-meeting-fd_io_csit_project_meeting.2021-08-11-14.02.log.html

Here's some feedback for the proposal.  A year ago we started holding
the last Cinder weekly meeting of each month in video + irc (the irc
component for people with bad connections or who are more comfortable
with written than spoken English) [0].

The meetings are recorded (you can find links on the meeting agenda [1]
if you're interested).  I haven't watched any of them, well, because I
was there.

The point I want to make here is to compare the meeting logs from a
video meeting [2] and the irc-only meeting the week before [3].

The video meeting logs are basically just a list of pointers into where
the discussion happens, which is helpful, but you have to watch the
recording.  With the irc-only meeting logs, you have all the discussion
in one place (though you get the sometimes strange interleaving of topics).

The video meetings are good from a team cohesion standpoint.  People
enjoy the interaction and getting to see each other once a month.  But
the logs aren't very helpful when I want to go back and check something
real quickly to see if I remembered a discussion correctly.  The other
nice thing about the irc-only logs is that if someone misses a meeting,
it takes way less than an hour to find out what happened.

I don't know about other people, but the way I keep up on the TC is
reading Ghanshyam's excellent 5 minute summaries on the mailing list and
looking at the meeting log if there's a topic where I want to get some
more detail about the discussion.

So, my suggestion is that if you want to do a video meeting, do it once
a month, and that way you get the benefits of some video interaction,
but the rest of us interested parties (which is basically the entire
OpenStack community) aren't required to watch a video to find out how
the discussion went.

(Notice that I didn't say anything about voice calls.  Those absolutely
suck.  Just my opinion.)

cheers,
brian

[0]