[neutron][ovn] support for stateless NAT for floating ip in ml2 ovn

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Tue Aug 17 22:10:02 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 3:14 PM Moshe Levi <moshele at nvidia.com> wrote:

> [...]

You mean like this?
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron/+/804807 (This also
passed CI.)

> > the dpdk connection track is certelly still a bottle neck to dpdk perfromance
> > so for ovs-dpdk i would expect to see a nice uplift in perfermance vs
> > userspace contrack based nat so that is another reason to support this in my
> > view.
> > >
> > > you are talking about an "option". Do you mean OpenStack would have a
> > > new API extension for FIPs to choose it? Or a configuration option?
> I was talking about config option, because I wasn’t sure if we want to keep the stateful behavior or there are use case when customer will want to use  stateful NAT.

I just can't figure out which scenario it would be, considering that
an admin allocates addresses to FIP pools for monopolistic use by
OpenStack, and FIPs are 1:1 mapped to fixed IP addresses. Which
scenario do you have in mind?

I understand the initial gut reaction to have it opt-in but IMHO it
makes sense only if we can explain why switching to always-stateless
won't work.

> > > AFAIU the only limitation for stateless dnat_and_snat rules in OVN is
> > > that the mapping must be 1:1, which I think is always the case with
> > > OpenStack FIPs (fixed_ip_address attribute is not a list). If so,
> > > perhaps always using stateless NAT rules is the way to go (so no api
> > > or config option). Am I missing something?
> [ML] maybe this is why I raise this question here as I don't know the background of why it was implemented as  stateful 😊
> > >
> > > I am not aware of any concerns using stateless NAT. But to clarify
> > > your
> > > motivation: do you expect it to perform better cpu/bandwidth wise?
> [ML] motivation is to enable  ovs hardware offload to offload floating ip use-case and to improve performance.
> > im pretty sure this has been dicussed in the past.
> > when david and i where working on neutron at intel on the learn action
> > firewally and openflow bridge based routing a few years ago im pretty sure
> > we discused using nat for FIPs when contrack suppport was first being added
> > to ovs.
> >
> > this makes perfect sense to me to support FIPs via ovs openflow nat rules
> > even on ml2/ovs i dont think that needs to be restricted to ovn although ill
> > admit the ip tables nat entries in teh kernel router namespace proably scalse
> > better the the ovs implemenation based on teh connection tracker today.
> >
> > stateful vs statless not is an interesting question.
> > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/cover/1570154179-
> > 14525-1-git-send-email-ankur.sharma at nutanix.com/
> > seams to imply that it must be implemented as a dnat_and_snat rule and i
> > think that has the implication that since its stateless it will always take affect
> > even in the same subnet? i dont know if we can restrict that so that the
> > stateless rule only take effect if we are leaving the openstack env or not.

I am not sure what you mean by saying "it will always take affect even
in the same subnet". Could you please elaborate?

AFAIU stateless NAT translation flows won't be reached when ports of
the same logical switch communicate, same as they are not supposed to
be triggered with ct_* rules. (Which is achieved by short-circuiting
tables in OVN table architecture.)