[all] SQLAlchemy 2.0 and coming ORM apocalypse

Mike Bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Thu Aug 12 23:47:00 UTC 2021

didn't see the main docs linked so the story starts at SQLA's migration docs.

starting w/ 1.4 which has all of 2.0's internals ready to go:

https://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/14/changelog/migration_14.html

then 2.0 which includes 1.x->2.0 migration notes:

https://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/14/changelog/migration_20.html

we spent a lot of time trying to make this process smooth.  it has both a few ideas from how py2->py3 worked (warnings mode) and also does some things intentionally the opposite of how py2/3 did it (you can run a codebase that is compatible with 1.4 and 2.0 at the same time).