Migrating VM's

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Aug 3 17:03:54 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-08-03 at 16:49 +0000, Jiri Stransky wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 6:24 PM Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2021-07-29 at 15:28 +0000, Jiri Stransky wrote:
> > > OS Migrate might be worth a look, it's an Ansible collection. It does
> > > cold migration that does not require admin privileges (is runnable by
> > > tenants who are sufficiently technically savvy).
> > >

> > default nova policy requrie admin right for cold migration
> > https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/policies/migrate_server.py#L25-L36
> >
> > os-migrate is not useing nova migration apis its migrating the data and vms behind novas back.
>
> I used the term "cold migration" in the generic sense (migration of
> VMs while they're stopped), not in the particular "Nova cold
> migration" sense. While we're not using any migration-specific APIs
> (not sure if these would work *between* clouds, incl. copying Cinder
> volumes), we do still interact with OpenStack only through the normal
> REST APIs, we do not touch the backing MariaDB database directly. (So
> i do not see our approach as migrating "behind Nova's back".)
do you run any process on the host or interact with any files on the host or libvirt/qemu in any way with
the data migrator? if you are just using snapshots and grabign datat form glance or doing data copeis with tools in the
vms i retract my statement but otherwise any interaction with the nova instance directly outside of the nova api would be
out of band and behind novas back.